Your Question:

A casualty is unconscious and in contact with an old electrical appliance; you suspect they may have been electrocuted. What is your first action?

Possible Answers:

Do not touch the casualty if they’re still in contact with the electrical source as you are at risk of electrocution. You should turn off the source of electricity - if this is not possible you could move the casualty BUT only while considering your won safety (making sure you are electrically isolated).

The full process is as follows:

1) Assess the situation. Do not touch the casualty if they’re still in contact with the electrical source as you are at risk of electrocution.

2) Turn off the source of electricity to break the contact between the electrical supply and the casualty.

3) Alternatively, move the casualty away from the source. You may be able to stand on some dry insulating material (such as a plastic mat or wooden box) and use a broom handle or wooden pole to push the casualty's limb away from the source.

4) If it’s not possible to break contact using a wooden object, loop some rope around the underneath of the casualty’s arms or ankles and pull them away from the electrical source. Do not touch the casualty.

5) Once you’re sure the contact has been broken between the casualty and the electrical source, perform a primary survey and treat any injuries.

6) Call 999 or 112 for emergency help.

Source: https://www.sja.org.uk/get-advice/first-aid-advice/minor-illnesses-and-injuries/low-voltage-electrocution/

Review as many questions as you like at any time:

You are not currently logged in. By logging in you will never see the same question twice and you'll get easy access links sent to your inbox.